Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mama

Happy Sunday and Happy Mother's Day to all the beautiful mommies out there! 

I am sharing another layout, which is based on the sketch challenge #392 by Scrapbook Challenges. I made this layout about my mama, and with the help of the sketch, it has cut down half the time I needed for the thinking process. 

I needed something to help me change the way I scrapbook because I have realized that my last few layouts were about the same *facepalm* It's not a bad thing, really, finding a style of my own, but when the layouts are all about the same it gets B.O.R.I.N.G! Don't get me wrong, I still love those layouts I made, but I wanted some changes too, and this sketch challenge provides me some new insights on the way I scrapbook.

For instance, when I have more than one photo, I tend to place them side by side, either horizontally or vertically, but in this sketch, the photos are not aligned at the same level, which is something that I don't usually do. Other than that, this sketch calls for two different patterned papers for the background, which I have never tried before. I have seen a lot of examples of using two different patterned papers as the background but whenever I scrapbook, I fall back to my old way, i.e. using only one patterned paper or cardstock for the background. The good thing about using two patterned papers for this layout is that I get to keep 2/3 of the beautiful 'Bliss' patterned paper by Jen Allyson for other layout(s)!

I have started to post a picture of my 'work in progress' on Instagram lately every time I am scrapbooking. I did the same for this layout and since I haven't have any idea on the embellishments to be used at the beginning, I pulled out some buttons (which happened to be nearest to me) and picked a few and lined them up for photography purpose.

Overall concept for the layout (I swear this photo looks nicer with the filter on Instagram LOL)
It turns out the buttons are a real nice addition to the bottom of the 'I love you more than ice cream' phrase, so I moved them up there and tied a thread in one of the buttons.

I came across the photo frame patterned paper by Dear Lizzy and I cut one of the frames out as the base for my title. My title is a simple one, just 'MAMA'. I love this supermodel thickers (you know, tall and skinny LOL)  by Amy Tangerine and it just fits perfectly in the frame.

Added another phrase in block at the bottom corner of the frame
After the photos and title placement, it's time for the last step of my scrapbooking process, embellishing. I couldn't find any pre-made embellishments that fits this layout, so I pulled out a few of my punches and my brads stash instead. I have been too relying on pre-made embellishments that I have forgotten all about my punches and brads. I am really glad I was able to come up with three clusters of embellishments for this page using a few simple elements which are some paper scraps, a couple of brads, a heart-shaped and flower-shaped punch outs and some blings.

First cluster
Second cluster
And a last one on the bottom of the page
After all the tedious work, the layout is finally done!

All in place!

In this layout, I have used a lot of tools and items that I have not used in a long time (punches, brads and buttons), and I have scrapbook differently from my usual routine. So glad I decided to make this layout based on the sketch by Scrapbook Challenge. Any comments are welcome!

Supplies (Papers)
  • Say What? by Studio Calico
  • Charm "Bliss" Delight Paper by Jen Allyson for My Mind's Eye
  • Warm Welcome and Fascinating Friends from Polka Dot Party Collection by Dear Lizzy
  • Embossed Cardstock
Supplies (Letters)
  • Cut Out Thickers by Amy Tangerine
Supplies (Embellies and Tools)
  • Buttons
  • Brads
  • Heart and Flower-Shaped Punches
p/s: I spent almost 4 hours editing the HTML code for this blog to include my Instagram account on the top corner of the blog, while drafting this post. It really was driving me crazy, and I have this bad habit of persistence on the wrong thing. It's two in the morning now and I have to skip my morning jog just because I am too stubborn to give up ~.~ My brain isn't functioning too well and I kept forgetting what I wanted to say in this post. So, forgive me if my post sounds a bit not right because I am really tired right now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment